This past week and weekend has been a blur for the students and staff at Link Year. It has been filled with learning, growth, memorable experiences, and tons of fun!
This past week all of our students went to John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas for our JBU intensive week. This two day trip was geared toward helping our students experience a couple of days within a college sitting. The students toured the campus, went to class, and stayed in the dorms with JBU student ambassadors. Overall, it was an extremely beneficial experience for both Link Year and JBU. We are so thankful for the partnership that we have with JBU that allows our students to receive college credit if they so choose. What a great experience.
Also, over the weekend we had our official parents weekend! It was an exciting time to get to show the parents around the campus, have the spend quality time with their sons and daughters, and get to interact and fellowship with our staff. Along with parents weekend it was also visitors weekend as well. It was great to get to interact with prospective students and their families. Since it was visitors weekend as well numerous questions were being asked about Link Year and the program that we do here in Branson, Mo. For those of you who read this blog (both parents and students) and are wondering “why should we choose Link Year?” Below are five reasons that set Link Year apart from any other gap year program or freshman college experience.
1) Discipleship: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”- Matthew 28:19. At Link Year we are passionate and committed to discipling the young men and women that come through our program. Nowhere else in the country will they experience one on one mentoring and discipling like they will here. In return this will help them maximize their potential and prepare them to impact the world for Christ.
2) Relationships: “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”- 1 Thessalonians 5:11. We believe in fostering authentic community and helping our students build deep lasting relationships with those around them. This encourages effective growth and prepares them for the next step in life.
3) Identity: “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well.”-Psalm 139:13-14. We believe that everyone was created by God for a distinct purpose. Our aim is to help our students identify that purpose and to find their secure identity in Christ.
4) Vision: “Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained.”- Proverbs 29:18. With a Christ centered vision we believe that our students will impact their community, campuses, and the world. We will assist in developing their vision for the future.
5) Empowerment: “I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in our hearts as you trust in him Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.”-Ephesians 3:16-17. Through experience, relationships, and growth the Link Year will do everything in its power to empower and equip each student to impact the world for Christ.